Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday March 30th - a bit breezy ...

Does anyone really actually prefer it soooo windy ? anyways, yep I rigged my "new" 3.7m (one year old Rock from OTC) ... very nice sail, shame that it had to be in "feck off" mucho macho all black colours, but hey it does kind of suit my mood when it's 3.7m weather.

lots of people stood around on the beach, lots of sand and debris flying every which way, but not a lot actually on the water ... not surprising really - twenty minutes of 40 knot gusts and you just feel drained ... in fact it's draining just to be stood on the beach in so much wind.

However, it was sunny and reasonably warm - and I say this not to gloat, but just to point out that there's no way that I'd have been sailing in that much wind in typical UK low pressure conditions ... what we have here is so different - high pressure, clear skies (Mt Teide was etched against an azure sky), and trade winds - all be it fekin strong trade winds ... and that feels so different ... hence, I'm now really pleased to have a small enough sail to handle days like today. Well, the sail was able to handle it, but several days of wind has taken it's toll on the old body, and I retired after a while with really painful aching back, legs, arms etc

All in all, a humbling experience - like fighting a wild beast.

Nikki took a few pics of me trying to wave ride the shore break while a wee bit overpowered, but as always, they don't really show the full power of the wind ...



and here's some shots of Adam from OTC getting some nice air ...




No comments: