Tuesday, July 12, 2011

PWA comes to El Medano (Day -2)

El Medano hosts the world's top wave-sailors in a PWA wave event starting this Thursday (14th - 20th of July). We're really looking forward to it. I'm currently off the water for a few days while various holes in my body heal, so some spectating will be a welcome diversion.

Cycling past the event site at Cabezo just now it was like the quiet before the storm (although the wind was blowing as usual :-) ... the flags were flying, the marquees were up, and a huge container of equipment was being unloaded.

Nikki took a few pics ...




Nayra Alonso here already with a truck load of equipment:


Graham Woods (ex OTC manager) has got an entry (good luck to him and Adam):



I think the conditions should be basically similar to Pozo but with a bit less wind (maybe they'll be on 4 - 5m instead of <4m), similar sized waves but better spaced and angled for riding - good for both backside and frontside. Maybe the riding will be prioritised a bit more and if so I'd expect Danny (Bruch) & Kauli to do better than they did in Pozo.

It will be interesting to see how they score the waveriding ... eg if the freestyle tricks are the priority or if wave selection, length / quality of the rides, turns, and classic riding moves (airials etc) are more important here - as say in Klitmoller. Both are relevant at Cabezo, so I guess it depends on how good the waves are for each heat.

The jumping will be great but not as 100% balls-out amazing as Pozo. Still expect to see lots of doubles and technical jumps - eg one / no footed / handed etc but I'm not sure if there's enough wind or steep enough ramps to get push-forwards or triple attempts. Will see ... I hope I'm watching if they do any (I know Koster said triples would be easier with a bit less wind, so who knows ...).

It's been windy pretty much every day for the last month or so, and the forecast is good, so I think they should get through the double elimination. Koster's got to be the hot favourite, but as I say I think it's a slightly more level playing field here (well not level, but you know what I mean) ... I think the heats will be closer and more tactical / technical, less purely hi-energy radical than Pozo, so perhaps more people have a chance of beating him. Vamos a ver.

No comments: